Tuesday, June 12, 2007


12 June
Well, by dint of the law which says that all things come to an end, the Aubusson is nearing completion, and my time amongst the roses, buttercups and bunny rabbits of Hampshire is nearly over. In a week I will be sitting on the plane winging my way back 'home' to Mali. The Aubusson will be finished, but it requires a continued 12-14hour day in the last stages. It is totally absorbing, and the days fly by. I have been working in total silence mostly, and have been amused at how one's mind makes up a 'sound track' to what is happening, completely unconsciously. I have been using a palette of pinks and golden yellows and pale browns: and suddenly became aware that I kept humming 'Golden Brown' by the Stranglers. And later, when I was painting 4 large swans in the corners, some imaginary loudspeakers were playing me 'down the Swanny River'.
But eventually I started playing some old music I have just downloaded for a change. I just wonder if anyone knows what these splendid lyrics are?

'I was sitting,
drinking,
superficially thinking
about the washed-out blonde on my left.'
She was common,
flirty,
she looked about thirty;
she told me later
she's a machinist operator,
she said she liked the way I held the microphone'...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home