Wednesday, July 20, 2011


Keita has an African’s idea that here is a reason behind this tragedy. He thinks Maobi took my place. He thinks it is not a coincidence that I had an accident a week ago. There are powers at work that would like to harm me according to his theory. Somehow I have enjoyed protection and the evil has been diverted and absorbed at least partly by Maobi. My foot is only touched, and it is not important.
(Napoleon died by a road accident at a turbulent time when much evil was flying around in the air, two days after my marriage to Keita, when I was travelling on a bus towards Djenne…)
But why Maobi now? I ask him. He thinks it has something to do with the Djenne Manuscript Library and the big sponsorship I have managed to obtain for them. Although that is a good thing of course, there is plenty of jealousy around…
Be that all as it may be.
Maobi is dead.
ALA KA A DAYORO SUMA

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Helas. RIP Maobi. Don't get spooked by mumbojumbo, though...

4:02 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

No David, I am not spooked at all,but I find this African idea of a sort of Transference poetic and beautiful.
xxs

2:43 PM  
Blogger Yvonne Gerner said...

dear sophi, we met 14 juli in sevare at martine's hotel. i'm very sorry for you. somehow the connection to our animls is very important here in Mali, they are who they are and that gives moments of peace during the day, hope you understand what i mean.
hope to meet you someday in djennee,
love yvonne

10:13 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

Dear Yvonne,
thank you for your message- it is true, the moments of peace and pure enjoyment of Africa that I experienced on our rides cannot be replaced.
I hope you will come to Djenne!
All the best with your project
PS there is a cyclist here, cycling Amsterdam-Timbuktu: Tom, who says hello!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home