Thursday, May 10, 2012


My old pal Cressida Bell has been kind enough to let me conduct an experiment in her textile printing studio.
I wanted to know whether it is possible to use mud for silk screen printing for bogolan? The answer is YES!

I had brought a bottle of real Mali mud from the Niger river and Dembele had prepared some of our handwoven cotton with the red dye that is derived from the bark of a tree, the name of which now escapes me, but which grows in the Malian bush only. We needed to use a silk screen-just anything would do, to find out whether the mud would go through the fine mesh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gilliane said...

BRILLIANT! Cressida is such a generous friend :)
Love, Gilliane xxx

4:50 PM  
Blogger Susan Scheid said...

These are exciting developments & I look forward to more news on the MaliMali front.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home