Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Djenne


Back in Djenne, but beset by internet gremlins making communication very difficult. I arrived in Bamako nearly a week ago where Keita met me and we travelled north through a smiling and verdant Malian countryside  where the millet stood plump and high as a man, soon ready for harvest. That is until we reached the north side of San, where the harvest started looking increasingly paltry and around Djenne only the rice will yield this year. There has not been enough rain for the millet to develop. Difficult times in Djenne then, as if it was not difficult enough!
But although I am of course concerned that the rains have not been plentiful enough here, I can’t help feeling relieved that I have arrived at the tail end of the rainy season, which I detest. It is beautiful, yes: the evening skies are often stunning and always seem to me to be painted on a Chinese vase- such as my view here across the water which is where the footballers play in the dry season.
Baba has run the place in an exemplary fashion in my absence- I am very pleased with him and gave him a Swiss army knife as a present amongst other things.

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Scheid said...

Painted on a Chinese vase describes the lovely sunset here so well--and the donkey is adorable. How could anyone not smile?

1:33 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

yes indeed Susan. That is the great thing about being here- however difficult it is (and it IS!) I only have to turn around and look in another direction and there is something that will make me smile again...

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home