Thursday, February 20, 2014

Fishing Mystery

Just arrived back from a few days in Bamako: this was the scene witnessed on the early morning of my departure: just on the other side of the Djenné ferry: a communal fishing, when a whole village goes to fish in one of the ponds that remain before all the water is dried up by the great heat of March, April and May in the plains of the Niger inland Delta.  The reasons for this communal fishing remain shrouded in mystery. I ask a sensible question: ‘why do they ALL go fishing at once?’ I get a reply that does not satisfy me and I have not been able to get to the bottom of this mystery. But that is one of the charming and infuriating facts of West Africa: one will never really understand it.

 

6 Comments:

Blogger Pascal et Monique said...

Hi Sophie. I know i won't undredtand the answer either, of course but still ... What was the answer to your question? sent from Washington dc

2:41 PM  
Blogger Grace Carlisle said...

I would think it would be the sense of community, right? Make a party of a boring job. Show off how many fish you catch, talk about the children, stuff like that. It sounds fun to me, and all the better than sitting for hours waiting for a fish to bite. Maybe the crowding also gives some protection from animals that want their own fishy feast as well?

5:23 AM  
Blogger priffe said...

If you do everything together why not fish together? :)
Applying common sense often does not explain how things work in Mali (Africa), you need 'other sense'.
I often ask Abou "why?" and he gives an answer but then I have to really think.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would think it would be the feeling of group, isn't that so? Make a gathering of an exhausting employment. Flaunt what number of fish you get, discuss the kids, stuff that way. It sounds amusing to me, and all the superior to anything sitting for quite a long time sitting tight for a fish to chomp. Possibly the swarming additionally gives some assurance from creatures that need their own particular fishy devour also?
My blog: best spinning reel

5:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...


It's wonderful! Amazing!

3:30 PM  
Blogger alexandra daddario said...

Just read your article. Great one and loved it. Continue onward. you are a best author your site is exceptionally helpful and useful a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing! Keep going!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home