Friday, February 28, 2014


Most days I went riding with Pudiogou:  I  used to set out on my own while Pudg took the opportunity to clean out the stable before saddling Max and joining me. I used to see him arriving in a cloud of dust on the horizon, galloping towards me and my horse to join us. Then we would ride far into the bush, halfway to Diabolo or Sirimo and back, much further than I now go on my own. It was fantastic fun to gallop together across the dusty plains...Pudg was a born horseman, fearless and calm. Max was also the horse for the carriage for outings with tourists and on many occasions I would ride while Pudg drove Max.


7 Comments:

Blogger David said...

'A born horseman, fearless and calm'. And doesn't that photo tell us so in an instant?

7:13 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

do you remember him?

4:30 PM  
Blogger David said...

Not sure I met him when we were there, did I? And how do you pronounce 'Pudg': 'Pudge'?

It may sound a bit patronising to say it but I'm always so struck by the innate naturalness of so many of the Malians who've worked with you - those lovely pictures, for instance, of Fatou and Maman. They sure have their dignity.

6:23 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

Yes, It's Pudge, which sounds funny in English of course...and I think he must have driven Max when we went to Diabolo. I rode on Napoleon.

2:38 AM  
Blogger David said...

I'm sure Petit Baba drove the cart.

11:56 AM  
Blogger David said...

On the other hand I just checked the photo and there's Petit Baba leading Max, but perhaps the man in the pink boubou sitting beside Jeremy in the cart is Pudg?

11:58 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

It must be him!

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home