Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Chrysalis


The old is coming to an end, for sure. The new is about to be formed around me. Or will I shape it myself? How does it work?   I am feeling as if I will appear in another form, soon. I am hanging on a branch, like a multicoloured question mark. It is not very worrying, although it should perhaps be. But it is not the first time I have hung on this branch...



I am in London now; and have just had my little heart operation, finally, in the Hammersmith hospital above. I am feeling well and it seems as though my broken heart, which started to beat strangely on the day of Keita’s funeral last year, has been mended, at least technically. I am staying with friends, first of all dear  David (the most frequent commentator in this journal) and Jeremiah,  who looked after me in the first few days while I was recuperating. Below a picture of me as 'The Wild Woman of Wonga' their nickname for me first thing in the morning...
After their expert tender loving care I moved on to Nicholas and Amanda's:  “you can stay as long as you like. The last time someone came to stay for a week they stayed for three years!” generous and reassuring words, but I am unlikely to repeat that, lovely though it is here. I do have my own flat around the corner in Ladbroke Grove and soon the contract with my tenant will let me give him notice so that I can move in. But before that I will be back in Sweden and in Mali- in Sweden I will catch up with the documentary film makers again and then, back in Djenné,  I will pack up and close up the hotel during the last two weeks of June.

Baba has just sold my old Yamaha DT he tells me; we have sold Keita’s beloved old Mercedes; the Mitsubishi is long gone; Petit Bandit has been collected by Haidara the marabout. Little by little the old is dismantled.
 But the past weekend was a major one for the hotel: we were full: Paul, the American ambassador with his wife (centre above) and embassy entourage; also accompanied by Winnie (in orange), the Danish ambassador (both nice people who I know through Eva) spent the weekend at Hotel Djenné Djenno for the first time. It was the crepissage again, the mud plastering of the Great Mosque. I was in constant touch with Baba at the hotel and it all seems to have gone well. The new Imam Yelpha presented Paul with a replica of the Djenné Mosque!





4 Comments:

Blogger Pascal et Monique said...

Bon rétablissement Sophie et bonne chance sur ton nouveau chemin!
A Lyon, un jour?
Monique et Pascal

9:48 AM  
Blogger David said...

I have to protest, that is DEFINITELY not your Wild Woman of Wonga morning look (which of course I love). The hair would need be sticking out three or four feet from the head... I think it was an afternoon shot, and you look the very model of a purposeful entrepreneur working from home/bed.

10:34 PM  
Blogger naniepat said...

Bon rétablissement Sophie. Amitiés de Belgique. Annie et Michel

7:46 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

Thank you all, dear friends! Feeling better after a nice few days relaxing in an English SPA hotel! See up coming blog...

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home